Moving on, up and away

As I sit outside lying on my dog's huge comfy bed cushion (the one he never uses because he's a spoiled brat and prefers MY bed) with my school work staring me in the face and the warm sun comforting my damp hair while trying to ignore a sharp pain in my ear that won't go away, I can't help but reflect on where I was 2 years ago. I still lived with my family in my childhood home in Northern California that I had lived in since I was 6. Just recently my family sold that home and with it went more than half of all my life memories (mostly good, some sad and very little bad). That's how I know life is finally changing. And for the first time, I think I'm okay with that.

A military history museum near my hometown

These are just some pictures from April 2011, the final year that I lived in my childhood home (excuse the quality - I didn't have my fancy schmancy camera back then). Although I was unhappy in my actual hometown, my house was always a happy place. What I'll miss the most is the huge yard and fruit trees (seriously, everything from avocados to cherries and apricots- it was absolutely splendid), the very hot summers (even though I complained about it back then when I'd wake up dripping in sweat- our house was over 100 years old so there was only an air conditioner in the living room), and my lovely bedroom with french doors and wood-like flooring. Djinn Djinn, my dog, on the other hand, misses the huge lawn (with thick lush green grass) and the large yard that he'd run around in when he felt like going "psycho" chasing after the squirrels. He'll also miss the endless sunlight.


Although I definitely think I was more than ready to move on and away from the place I grew up (besides, the place where I live now is 100x better for the lifestyle I now desire), I'm glad that I can look back and smile because I'm moving forward and life is only going to get better (at least, I'm always hopeful- that's the "Pollyanna" in me). I also hope that the new occupants of my childhood home will be very happy there. And so, life goes on.... How do you deal with change? Do you easily accept it?


He looks like he's singing/dancing!
The house was emptied for the first time since we moved in. Bittersweet.

4 comments

  1. Wow, selling your childhood home is probably very bittersweet. It's nice you can look back at old photos and memories and appreciate the years you spent there!

    Sometimes all you have to do is embrace change, and all that comes with it! You have so much ahead of you in the future, so just focus on that! Those pictures are so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dog is so gorgeous! Your photo's are so precious xx
    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still live with my parents and together we've changed 5 different houses so believe me I know what you feel. The importance is the meaning of a home not a house, that's what's more important :)
    Change is good you know, sometimes scary yes, but change throws different circumstances at you, enriching your life. I do believe change makes you stronger. But do you want to know my secret to change? Positivity :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post and I'm so glad you feel happy with the move and all the changes that came with it. It's great that you have such happy memories of your childhood home, and such lovely pictures too. I'm terrible with change, I long for everything to stay the same whilst at the same time yearn for adventure. My boyfriend calls me a paradox! xx

    ReplyDelete