A millennial's guide to classic films (a.k.a. movies made way before we were born)


I'm already predicting that a total of maybe, I don't know, 2 people will read this post. I've decided to write about classic films (in my opinion this means films that were made before 1970) because they're such a huge part of my life. I literally almost never watch films that were made in this day and age (I mean, other than must-see films like Home Alone, for example) because basically, I'm 80 years old... and I'm definitely okay with that.

When I was younger, classic films were always on in my home and my earliest film memories are The Sound of Music, The Wizard of Oz, Pollyanna, and The Parent Trap. I remember my parents mentioning names like Maureen O'Hara or John Wayne and I'd think "who?" and wonder what films made them so famous and why hadn't I heard of them? This was during the time when to me the only movie stars who mattered were Princess Jasmine and Aladdin.

As I got older, I started watching more classic films but mostly the family-friendly ones. They just were so easy to watch and become captivated by. 13 Ghosts. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Calamity Jane. Swiss Family Robinson. That's the gist of it. Anything with Hayley Mills. Or Doris Day. Or Audrey Hepburn.

There's always been this sort of magic that classic films bring and it's not just due to their story lines. It's like catching a glimpse of a world I knew nothing about- a world before I was born. I know Hollywood tends to exaggerate or glamorize things but I am still able to get a bit of an idea of the general lifestyle that people led back then. I can sense the bad- the racism and addiction problems that we still face today, for example. And at the same time, I see a lot of the good- the catchy soundtracks and amazing fashions, for example.

Some of the best ways to watch classic films that I've found are: Warner Archive (monthly subscription service like Netflix), Amazon (I rent films that look particularly interesting without having to commit to buying in case I don't like the film, plus I like that you can instantly stream them), and sometimes YouTube has some really old films or parts of films. Netflix occasionally has some good classic films (as of now, my favorites that are currently listed on there are The Parent Trap, Desk Set, & Cheaper by the Dozen so that's a good place to start if you're interested). Additionally, you'll probably find that your local library has a ton of classic films to borrow for free or for a small fee. (None of these sites are sponsored, by the way!)

These days, you'll catch me watching any category of classic films from westerns to film noirs. I'd like to make this a more regular thing where I highlight and talk about a current favorite classic film or film star especially if I can relate it to fashion/personal style. I hope you won't mind too much. :)

I'd love to hear what your favorite classic film is, if any!

6 comments

  1. I love this post! Particularly when you said, it's like getting a glimpse into a world, you knew nothing about. That's what I love about history documentaries and old photos and stories. It's just amazing to think about how people used to live back then and how things, not everything, but obviously the clothes, way of life etc have changed. Even just the movies themselves with the before CGI affects and black and white, have come such a long way. I like the simplicity of them and the characters.
    I am glad that I have seen The sound of music and The Wizard of Oz from your list, i'm afraid the others I have only heard of. We did watch Jason and the Argonauts a lot as kids (not sure what year that was) as it is our Mum's favourite film.
    I would love to read about your favourite classics, then I can add them to my list! :)

    Kelly xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Kelly! I'm soo glad you get what I mean about classic films. It's so true, the simplicity of them is often what is more appealing about them.

      I haven't seen Jason and the Argonauts so I just might have to check it out! I looked it up and I already recognize the main female actress- I believe she played a part in one of my favorite TV shows, I Dream of Jeannie! :) xxx

      Delete
    2. Oh that's awesome! Sorry i'm late replying. I forget to turn on notifications! :p You will have to let me know if you do get chance to watch it. We haven't seen it in years but it makes me happy thinking about Mum! She almost called our brother Jason because of it.

      xx

      Delete
  2. It's so funny that you wrote about this, because my husband and I were just talking about how AMAZING the choreography, music, dancing, and acting were in the older musicals ... Silk Stockings was on TV the other weekend, and we got so sucked into it. And my mother-in-law gave me An American in Paris for christmas last year as it'd been on my wishlist for a while - such a lovely movie to curl up and watch with a bowl of popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? I haven't heard of Silk Stockings but I looked it up and recognize many of the actors! I'll add it to my watch list! :) I saw An American in Paris for the first time recently and it's definitely a feel-good film!

      Delete
  3. Great information. Lucky me I ran across your site by accident (stumbleupon). I've bookmarked it for later! msn hotmail sign in

    ReplyDelete