Gold Panning like it's 1849

IMG_0119


IMG_0140


IMG_0028


IMG_0021


IMG_0110


IMG_0044


IMG_0134

47997

Here's something else you don't know about me: I've panned for gold once or twice in my lifetime. Super random, right? I don't know about you, but when I think of California and its rich history, one of the bigger events I think of is the 1849 Gold Rush when everyone and their next door neighbor's chihuahua was coming to California in search of gold.

Though I'm by no means a 49er (I think you have to have a beard for that), I like to dabble in the art of gold panning every so often. It's pretty fun going out into the mountains (that is, when I'm not busy fretting about all the rattle snakes) and sitting on the rocks while wiggling the gold pan around in search of a gold nugget (which I have yet to find by the way). Believe it or not, there are so many little gold specks about the size of glitter floating around in the sandy waters and even if they're not actual nuggets, it only adds to the excitement.

Initially I wasn't really going to turn this into a post/or talk about it because I know most of my readers are young and hip and gold panning just...isn't (unless you were born in 1829) but when I thought about it more, I realized it'd be something a little bit different and well, this is yet another adventure I, well, adventured in. Also, I am in the process of organizing all my California related posts together so that they will be easily accessible through the sidebar - hopefully that's something some of you are interested in.

Oh, and by the way, if I ever find a gold nugget, I'll never tell. ;) 


No comments